Friday, April 15, 2011

Homeschool Mother's Journal - Week 4

The Homeschool Mother's Journal



In my life this week…
We were somewhat busy not but not bad.   We helped with the College Free lunch served at our church this week.   The boys went to Electrolysis with me for the first time in about a year or so.   We got through some school and had the Academy classes canceled on Thursday due to a sewer back up in the bathrooms.   I was also trying a new morning study of meditating on some verses.
In our homeschool this week…
We had a challenging week.   Joel had a hard time getting stuff done.   We made an agreement that he need to learn to be more diligent and get through a certain amount of work by May 15th in order to be able to go to Children's Church camp this June.   So we will see if that will be enough of a motivator so he can see how nice it is to get stuff done.
Places we’re going and people we’re seeing…
Today we went to the Old Penitentiary and will be headed to the Idaho Historical Museum this afternoon.  It was a fun trip and amazing to find out that the Penitentiary was in use until 1973 which I was surprised about that.   
My favorite thing this week was…
Humm. .  Not sure what was but just being able to keep my boys home to homeschool them is really the greatest thing I can imagine.   It is hard work but man, I love it.   Oh yea, I did my first Triathlon this last weekend.   It was fun except for the swim, which is always brutal on me.
What’s working/not working for us…
For the most part what we are doing is working but I do really want to get more Nature study days going.
Homeschool questions/thoughts I have…
Any suggestions on how to keep the kids motivated to get through their work.   Although I know I don't have to keep up with 'school' I do want to make sure they are covering what they need too.   My oldest is having a hard time keeping up.   Not because He can't do it but because He just isn't very diligent in getting his work done.
A photo, video, link, or quote to share…
My Husband and I on our first Tri of the year.   I did a little worse than last year but not bad over all.

4 comments:

Becca said...

Hold something that he can do on a daily basis hostage. For my son it was video games. We were very specific about expectation. If he got half way there, he got 15 min. If he did it all, he got 30 min. That day.

Eileen Marie Miller said...

A great motivator for me is entering into a dialogue with the kids about some good literature (including Bible passages/themes). You can focus on the virtues and vices of various characters. I have found that it always interests my children & it shows in some of their writing.

MommyKuehner said...

We usually do the same thing. We withhold a treasure such as their video games or allow them to earn stickers when they complete work. Stickers can be used to buy extra video game time, a walk with mom or dad, or a "treasure" from our pirate chest.

New follower from HSMJ. Come visit us sometime.
www.krazykuehnerdays.com

Have a great weekend and CONGRATS on your first triatholon!!!
Renita

Rebecca said...

Thanks for dropping by....and praying for us...that really means a lot.

Motivation...it's different for all three of my children. What are your boys interested in? Use those things...help them focus and find joy through learning about things that interest them.....of course, those things come when the other work is finished!