Tuesday, August 09, 2011

Educating the WholeHearted Child Book Discussion Chapter 2


The Pelsers


1. How are you making your home a living and learning center for your family?
This is a work in progress.   We do encourage them to think for themselves but as I realize how often I am not always the best at this one.   I grew up in a household where the TV was always on so it is an adjustment for me to change my norm.    We have started to really push the boys to take more responsiblity 

2. Are you willing to learn right alongside your children? If not, what is stopping you—time? Desire?
You bet I am.   I love to learn and even though I get frustrated at times when I don't learn quickly.   But I love to learn and pray that I can instill that desire and love in my boys too.

3. How are you prepared to answer the critics? You may want to sit down with your spouse and discuss your united response to the critics.
We have a pretty open and supportive environment.    Idaho is the freest states to homeschool in, we have no requirements or regulations.    the only thing you have to do is if they have been enrolled in public school you have to send a written letter of withdraw from the district.    Other than that, we don't have to do anything else.   Family has been very supportive and inquire how things are going.   Most of the responses have been number 3 that, "I could never do that".   I was one of those but found that I can and will.   I enjoy it even with its frustrations.

4. What is a positive story about your family’s homeschooling that you can share with a critic?
Not really.

5. The Clarksons share how they try to make their home a haven for their children. They believed in family style entertainment—where they made their home a fun place to be. What are you doing to make your home a fun haven where your family enjoys time together?
I know that our house if often where kids (their friends) want to come.    We don't have a lot of structured family time but we do hang out together a lot.    We play games together a lot and go swimming together during the summer.    I would like to implement more intentional family time though.    We have lots to work on over the next years to really create the environment I desire to do.

No comments: