Monday, August 01, 2011

Educating the WholeHearted Child Book Discussion Chapter 1 part 2

The Pelsers



 Which one was the most compelling reason for you?  Did you consider any of these reasons when you made your decision to homeschool?
What I thought was the reason was that my son was struggling not having any friends who believed they way he does.    In reality, I think that God finally brought all the plans into place where we would and could start homeschooling.   Numbers 5 & 6 seems to really fit my heart for our homeschool, Homeschooling allows the greatest opportunity for strategic discipleship influence in a child's life.  &  Homeschooling provides the best setting for personalized learning through natural, biblical relationships.      There are more but those where I am at now.   I am not sure these were the ideas I had but I know God did.    


What cost do you have to consider for your family?
Most of the cost was for the 'time' I thought I needed.    We already had a one income to support us so I have been home full time since my oldest was born.    This was very important to my husband.     Soon I realized that not just the curriculum can be costly but I realize just how hard it was for me to figure out what works for my two children.   They are so different yet similar so finding things have and has been difficult.    I don't get a lot of workout time which is something important for me to help me keep weight off and stress relief.   Learning how to present information in ways that help my boys.    Just the overwhelming realization of how much I give on a daily basis.    This sounds so selfish but it has been tough for me to adjust.   I love it and enjoy it but I never learned to do some of these things myself so teaching my boys can be difficult.    more in the area of how to time management and just figuring out scheduling details.    The blessings far outweigh any of my struggles because these are things God has been working on me for years and now it is time for me to figure it out with His strength.


What led you to homeschool?  How did you know that you were supposed to homeschool?
As I mentioned earlier the catalysts was my son coming home in tears wanting some friends who believed how he did.    Now as I have done this for a year and have really looked into the Word about how this is my commission in the first place by God.    I think I always knew I would but in their early years, I had things especially my son's attitude that he must go to school.    It has been a journey and now I am working through how to teach my boys not just the academics but God and how he has woven this World together.


What topic or scripture caught your attention?
Be content really struck me as well as Renew your Mind.   


   “But I rejoiced in the Lord greatly, that now at last you have revived your concern for me; indeed, you were concerned before, but you lacked opportunity. Not that I speak from want, for I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances I am. I know how to get along with humble means, and I also know how to live in prosperity; in any and every circumstance I have learned the secret of being filled and going hungry, both of having abundance and suffering need. I can do all things through Him who strengthens me. ” (Philippians 4:10–13, NASB95)


Learning to be content with my limitation really struck me as vital.    I struggle with my weight and I need to learn to be content with what I need not always expecting what want or what I think I want.    This will transform my mind and my life.  

2 comments:

Amanda Pelser said...

That's a tough place for a kid to be. I have a friend who pulled her middle schooler out mid-year because of bullies. Just not right.

Vickie said...

Yes, I felt awful for my son. He is so sensitive. He tried to get them to understand. :(