Saturday, March 26, 2011

Homeschool Mother's Journal

 The Homeschool Mother's Journal 


In my life this week...


This week, I have been working on getting my workout schedule figured out.    Since this is my first year homeschooling and was used to at least a few hours by myself before, it has been a challenge to say the least.    For me, it is essential for me to balance my needs with my families.   They often win out.   But I am getting it worked through.   
In our homeschool this week...
We had a good week.   My boys and I got most of the scheduled things done with very few tears.    My older one and I have struggled a lot with the balance of work and relationship.    Since he has been in public school for three years, it has been interesting to figure it all out.    We are getting there and I am loving homeschooling.

Places we're going and people we're seeing...


This winter was the year we taught the boys to ski.   Not my favorite sport and they have already far surpassed my speed and abilities.   I am there because it is a good family outing and I do enjoy it to a point.    I am getting more confident but I do recall the same thing happened with mountain biking.   That ended up with a concussion and a severely broken collarbone.    So cautious I am. . .
My favorite thing this week was...


My favorite thing . . . hummm probably is just the time I get so spend with the boys.   Also learning what helps them and what works for me too.    Learning new things in their history is always fun.   We are using Diana Waring's, History Revealed and it has been fun.   I love to watch the boys tell me the Bible stories since they have been listening nightly to their Mp3 players with the Bible on it.
What's working/not working for us...


I would have to say, there are many things that seem to not be working for us but not in a bad sense.    As I learn more about Charlotte Mason and my boys, I am finding what worked for me will not work for them.   I love to learn and sit and study but they don't.    They love the hands on things and I am not so strong in those areas.    
Homeschool questions/thoughts I have...


I am glad God gave us such an important directive in Deut. 6.    Why because I found that through it I have so much to learn (not that I thought I knew it all) but that there is so much more to teaching and raising your kids.    Not sure why it took me so long to really realize it but hey, no body is perfect.
A photo, video, link, or quote to share...


The boys had their Cub Scouts' Pinewood Derby this week.    It was lots of fun.   The boys both did extremely well.    Sean got 3rd over all in the Pack and Joel was in 4th over all and 1st in this Den.    It was fun to watch their excitement as their cars raced and won.    I was pleased at the fact that the boys were supportive of the others in the pack.   
Can never get them looking at the camera at the same time.  lol

7 comments:

Theresa said...

New follower here from Homeschool Mother's Journal!

This is our first year as well and I can completely relate to figuring out how to balance your needs with that of your family! I seem to never find time for myself--something I need to work on!

I so wish I knew how to ski! I would love for my girls to learn!

Sounds like a great week!

Vickie said...

It is my husbands thing. :) We go with another homeschooling family and the kids have a great time.

Ellen said...

Welcome to the blogging world and homeschooling! I am finishing my 10th year of homeschooling. It sounds like you have a better handle on it all than I did! It took me a whole lot longer to figure out that 2 of 3 needed hands on and I'm a textbook reader/learner. Enjoy your time with the boy... it flies so quickly!

Pinewood derby... my boys loved it! Having 2 Boy Scouts (ages 15 and 17), we are way past the fun of Cub Scouts.

Thanks for visiting me at A Season for All Things. I'm your 7th follower. Isn't 7 considered a perfect number in the Bible?

Looking forward to getting to you better... ~ Ellen

Tiffany said...

This is our second year homeschooling and it is amazing to me how much we have to go through to learn what works. We're still figuring it out! Sounds like you've got a great start though!

The Derby picture is great!

Stopping by from THMJ!

Wendi said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog :)

We are still working on balance around here...and we've been homeschooling for 4 years now :) As for me getting exercise...right now I have an exercise bike stationed in our home office, I try to ride it for 30 minutes every morning before breakfast.

I love the Pine Wood Derby pics...my ds9 participated in one for a few years when he was in AWANA. He always had tons of fun!

MommyKuehner said...

It's really hard to find and keep that balance. I think we all understand that. It's a struggle here daily. I really like your blog. I would like to get into digiscraping also. (Another thing to find time for..LOL).

Maybe you can visit our mayheim www.krazykuehnerdays.com
Have a wonderful week!
Renita

Anonymous said...

How fun you are in Mothers Homeschool Journal too. It really motivating. Love your scrap pages and the name of your blog.