Saturday, April 09, 2011

Homeschool Mother's Journal - 3





In my life this week…
Has been busy with trying to find a place for my boys to do Taekwondo and me some Kickboxing classes plus school.   Our Academy at our church is gearing for a Information meeting with our new teachers for next year and expanded schedule.   Although I am not anyone who actually works or is on the board, I do a lot of support and foot work for the Administrator who happens to be one of my best friends.  I also participated in a Spring Triathlon today(Saturday) and yesterday, since the swim was inside due to being really cold for an outdoor swim.  lol   I did pretty well since I did the swim with no training since last summer, and only the second time on my road bike this year.   I have been running on the treadmill and outside, though.    I did it in 1 hour and 48 min which is slower than last year but due to the lack of training I am glad I did so well.
In our homeschool this week…
We had a good week.   My boys have really gotten into a good routine and we are accomplishing more than we were for awhile there.   We started a new Unit in History (still working on getting the projects for last one done) and we are doing the conquering of Northern and Southern Kingdoms.   Next month we will be adding spelling back in for Joel to get through the Sequential Spelling book 1.  
Places we’re going and people we’re seeing…
Really haven't gone anywhere this week.   Hoping to get a field trip in soon as the boys are ready to get out more.   Our weather has been really rainy and cold so it keeps up inside the days we can get out.
My favorite thing this week was…
Watching Joel enjoy the rewards of saving for nearly 6 to 9 months for his DSi XL and getting it.   My younger one still prefers short term saving but He is learning to do his Long term Bank account which he is much better than his older brother at that one.  lol
What’s working/not working for us
Using the concept of shorter days or at least structured amount of time for each subject has really help Joel.   He struggles when his lessons seem to drag on so the timer and having a goal to finish so much has really helped us a lot.   
Homeschool questions/thoughts I have…
As I have been only a homeschooler less than a year, I have already seen the value of how our relationships have grown and improved with my boys and how I respond to them.   Although I still have a long way to go, I see us all doing better.   I have determined that I am beginning to see how Deut. 6 has transformed how I see education and parenting.   I also see how I desire to help others see its value and long term rewards.
A photo, video, link, or quote to share…
My photo is a layout I made for a Digital designer I work for:

No comments: